Associated Grain Inc.
News & Commentary
Associated Grain, Inc. is the outgrowth of an agricultural business which began in 1921 as Lewis and Middleton in Parksley, Virginia. The principal business was, until the mid 1940s, the buying and brokering of vegetables and produce and the sale of fertilizer, seed and chemicals. With the expansion of the poultry industry taking place on the Delmarva Peninsula, the partners of Lewis and Middleton formed Delmarva Feed Co. The new company would supply poultry feeds and other services to local producers of broiler chickens which, by the the mid-50s, had expanded to contract broiler production and the organization of Parksley Grain Co., a grain marketing and handling facility. In 1958, W.R. Lewis, Jr., who had been associated with the business for 9 years, purchased his father's and Mr. Middleton's interests at their retirement.
In June 1967, the business was merged with Holly Farms Poultry, Inc. of Wilkesboro, North Carolina, adding to their expansion on the lower Delmarva Peninsula.
In 1979 the Parksley facility was re-acquired by W.R. Lewis, Jr., and reorganized as Associated Farms, Inc.
In 1980, Richard Lewis began employment with his father at Associated Farms. At that time there was 1 location with a total bushel capacity of 84,000. Today, Associated Farms operates 2 grain elevators with a capacity of 1,200,000 bushels.
In 2008, Alex Lewis, son of Richard, began working at Associated Farms, making him the fourth generation of the Lewis family to become involved in the business.
In June of 2014 Tyler Fincen began employment at AFI as accounting manager. Tyler graduated from Old Dominion University in 2013 with a dual major in accounting and finance.
In January of 2015 Assiocated Farms, Inc. changed names to Associated Grain, Inc.
Associated Grain Inc. employs 10 full time and 2 part time workers.
The principal business endeavor is grain origination, merchandising, and ongoing education for our customers and ourselves.
2015 will be 95 years of continuous operation of the business that began in 1921.